In today’s episode, we’re joined by Dr. Uma Naidoo. Michelin-starred chef David Bouley described Dr. Uma Naidoo as the world’s first “triple threat” in the food & medicine space: a Harvard trained psychiatrist, Professional Chef graduating with her culinary schools’ most coveted award, and a trained Nutrition Specialist. Her nexus of interests have found their niche in Nutritional Psychiatry.
Dr. Naidoo founded and directs the first hospital-based Nutritional Psychiatry Service in the United States. She is the Director of Nutritional and Lifestyle Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) & Director of Nutritional Psychiatry at MGH Academy while serving on the faculty at Harvard Medical School. She has also been asked by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) to offer the first academic text in nutritional psychiatry.
I read her best selling book, ‘This is Your Brain on Food’ & in this episode we go IN DEPTH about which foods she uses to help her patients fight depression, anxiety, PTSD ADHD & more.
►Listen on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3h4yxkgwZCzn193Ls7O8FX?si=UylJQzUpSPySkNrwt9mDcQ&dl_branch=1
►Listen on iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/medspiration/id1440527968#episodeGuid=medspiration.podbean.com%2F2275a52d-d9c5-37ff-a5bb-da547f5adb1a
►Watch on YouTube: https://youtu.be/LXJU4Ol-Okc
►Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/medspiration/
This Podcast is brought to you by: Picmonic – USE THIS LINK TO GET 20% OFF ANY PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP: https://www.picmonic.com/affiliate/medspirationLDW19
Picmonic has a visual learning platform that will help anyone in healthcare learn more in less time, so they can rock course exams, boards, and become more competent providers! Using their learning tools has been proven to increase long term memory retention up to 331%! Picmonic helped me with my USMLE Step 1 studies & can help also help student NPs, PAs, Pharm Ds, RNs, LPNs, paramedics & those in premed. We’ve partnered with them to bring you an INCREDIBLE OFFER: You can check them out @: Picmonic.com & sign up for FREE & you’ll get instant access to a free video and quiz questions every day – no credit card required. Use the promo code Medspiration for 20% off any Premium subscription!
1. Introducing Dr. Naidoo (5:00)
2. Dr. Uma’s Training (7:05)
3. Nutritional Psychiatry & Dr. Naidoo’s Service (11:57)
4. Food Labeling & the Food System (17:14)
5. Gut Health and Mental & Emotional Well-being (19:08)
6. Foods that can Worsen Mental Health (22:01)
7. Mono-Sodium Glutamate (MSG) Foods & OCD (24:03)
8. Sugar, Artificial Sweeteners, Depression & Neuro-inflammation (25:46)
9. Addressing Soda intake + Sugar Addiction with Patients (30:28)
10. Foods that Help Depression (38:02)
11. The Mediterranean Eating Pattern (MEP) (38:57)
12. Foods that Help Anxiety (41:38)
13. How much Caffeine is ok? (44:24)
14. PTSD, Gut Memory & Foods to Eat/ Avoid (46:21)
15. The Role of the Gut in ADHD (52:27)
16. The Carnivore Diet? (54:20)
17. Tips for Easy Food Swaps & Substitutions (57:01)
18. Does Dr. Naidoo take supplements? (59:26)
19. How to Connect with Dr. Naidoo (1:00:11)
Connect with Dr. Uma:
Buy her best selling book: https://book.umanaidoomd.com
If you enjoy this episode, please subscribe to our podcast & rate it 5 stars on iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/medspiration/id1440527968